FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PHILLY AGAINST WAR
will conduct a demonstration / informational picket
from 4:00pm to 6:00pm on Friday, October 10th, 2008
at 15th & Market Streets, City Hall
Our demands are:
US Out of Iraq and Afghanistan!
Fund Human Needs not War and Occupation!
Stop Attacks on Civil Liberties!
No Scapegoating Immigrants and Muslim people!
No US Attacks on Iran and Latin America!
Our alliance consists of (As of September 27th):
- International Action Center
- Green Party of Philadelphia
- Brandywine Peace Community
- Philadelphia Regional Anti-War Network
- Philadelphia International Socialist Organization
- Philadelphia World Can't Wait
- PDA/DFA Progressive Democracy South Jersey
- Green Party of Delaware County
- Stop the War Committee
- Philly Socialist Action
- Lancaster Coalition for Peace & Justice
- Women's International League for Peace & Freedom
action occurs one day short of the sixth anniversary of the AUMF, the
Authorization for the Use of Military Force against Iraq.
2004, spending on the Iraq War was a relatively modest $4.5 billion per
month. By 2007, it was around $11 billion per month. With the decline
in violence, it's now around $10 billion a month.
Washington DC all flustered and panicked over an economic crisis at
home, that money could go to better uses than to occupy a country whose
Prime Minister has declared very explicitly that he'd like to see
American troops depart.
We call for the AUMF to
be revoked and for American troops to be withdrawn from Iraq in a prompt and expeditious